First Session of One Year Professional Certificate Program in Natural Medicine and TCM
On Friday, the 3rd of May, 2019, students of Green Centre Academy (GCAD) completed the first session of the One Year Professional Certificate Program in Natural Medicine and TCM.
Lectures were given in fourteen different branches of Natural Medicine including: Cupping therapy, Herbal Medicine, TCM and Acupuncture, Naturopathy, Medical Graphoanalysis etc
Here, I will scratch the surface of some of the lectures the students received in the program.
In Naturopathy, the students learnt about the healing action of different types of foods. They learnt that foods can heal because they contain different nutrients or non-nutrients phyto-chemicals.
They also learnt about different foods and what they are good for.
For example, Soybeans is good for regulating female hormones because they are rich in Phytoestrogen.
Avocado pear supports heart function because it is rich in vitamin A.
Dry Moringa seeds, amongst its numerous benefits, is also useful for the eyes. Just peel it and eat the inside. (Eating with the outer covering will cause purging). It has a sweet taste too.
African Star Apple (Chrysophyllum albidum) popularly known as Udara in Eastern Nigeria and Agbalumo in Western Nigeria, is also good for women. It is very effective in combating infections. And the students were given a simple formula for this. It involves Sun-drying (Oven drying is not advised) and powderizing.
Join our closed Facebook group to learn more about this formula, and why it is not advised you use oven to dry herbs. Also join if you want to learn more about Natural Medicine.
In Herbal Medicine, they were taught that Herbs in Natural Medicine mean any plant material – whole plant, stem, leaves, wood, bark, roots, flowers, buds, resins and latex) which can be used singly or as a combination in preparing herbal medicines.
They were also taught that Herbal medicines include herbs, herbal materials, herbal preparations and finished herbal products, which contain as active ingredients parts of plants, or other plant materials, or combinations.
They also learnt about active ingredients present in some herbs.
Herbs that are used for treatment can be administered in different forms. some of these forms are:
- Capsules, and other forms
Turning herbs into any of these forms can prove advantageous for the following reasons:
- It improves packaging
- It improves shelf life. Herbs are notorious for their short lifespan when harvested so, transforming them into any of these forms will improve its shelf life
- When done by a skilled practitioner, herbs made in any of these forms are more effective because only their active ingredients are used
Some of the other things the students learnt Include:
- Plants with kidney shaped leaves will help in alleviating kidney problems, while those with the shape of the heart will assist the heart to function properly or will serve as cardiac tonic
- some plants like Willow that grows in damp places, are used for the treatment of rheumatism (a condition which results from cold and dampness. the place where plants grow can offer precious information about its usage to an pen minded practitioner
- Plants with bitter flavor are used for the condition of weak liver because of the extreme bitterness of bile. Bitter tasting enhances the function of the gallbladder and the liver
In Introduction to TCM and Acupuncture
Students were told of Yin and Yang and how they interact with each other. They learnt of the five element theory and the five basic elements of Wood, fire, water, earth and metal. These elements are all inter-related in a circular manner. They were taught how these elements relate to different body parts and how working on one element or body organ can bring about healing in another related body part.
For example, the small intestine is under the fire element. And the stomach is under the earth element. Because the fire element is the mother of the earth element, the small intestine can be manipulated to successfully treat issues of the stomach. This is one of the basic principles the students were taught
The students also learnt about some Meridians in the body including the LV-3 and the ST-36 Meridians.
They also learnt about the types of cups and techniques used in Cupping Therapy
Some types of cups are:
- Haci cups. Used for magnetic cupping. This type of cups have North and South poles just like in magnets
- Silicon cups. These are the most common type of cups and is recommended for beginners
- Moxa cone and other types
In TCM, it is believed that pain is caused by blockage of flow in the body. To stop the pain, flow has to be restored. To restore the flow, the area of pain is identified and it is cupped using appropriate cupping techniques
Demonstrations in Cupping and Massage therapy were carried out to enhance the students’ understanding. And at the end, they still wanted the session to continue (the last lecture which was scheduled to end by 6PM continued till past 7PM). With a happy countenance and smiling faces, the students left for their break heavily loaded.
PS. To see more posts like this (posts where some of the things taught in our training programs are shared) and to learn more about Natural Medicine, Join Green Centre Academy of Natural Medicine on Facebook